I know the Covid-19 virus is affecting us all. Many businesses are temporarily shut down and we are having to find alternatives for some of the services were hired out previously. I have been asked many times to share the Grooming Instructions we made several years ago. Rather than keep sending them out privately we are posting then here. Feel free to share these instructions with anyone who may need them.
I have attached a link to the video here Grooming Video . A copy of the written instructions in a PDF file on my Grooming page. Please note these are instructions for grooming after the dog has already been properly bathed and blow-dried. What this video does not show is that part of the process. I will include some very important tips below to help care for your dog at home while we wait for this quarantine to end. In the meantime use these tips to help maintain your pooches coat until you can have them professionally groomed again.
- Be sure to thoroughly comb and brush your dog, before you give it a bath. When I say thoroughly, I meant just that. You cannot just brush over the top and have the pupster look good and be fluffy or feel good to the touch. You need to be able to get the comb through the coat to the skin. That is very important. If you just brush the surface of your dog and then give it a bath you are just setting the mats in place and creating a bigger problem. Your dog WILL need to be shaved!
- After you have brushed your baby all the way through you can put a nickel-size dab of Cowboy Magic detangling sheen, or spay a generous amount of Rockin Paws Shine on me or any good leave-in conditioner. Brush it through to make sure it gets evenly distributed.
- Wash and condition your baby. Make sure you rinse all the shampoo out.
- Put another nickel-size dab of Cowboy Magic, or spray with Rockin Paws Shine on me or any leave-in conditioner again and then brush your dog. Be sure not to use too much. More is not better. Your dog’s coat will get weighed down if you use too much.
- After you have brushed your baby then start blowdrying them. Make sure you continue to brush and comb them while drying as well. Note: I use the Rockin’ Paws Shine on me for in between baths and in combination with regular brushing.
This will help you to maintain your pooch while we are ridding this virus out together. If your pooch does get matted and your groomer has to shave them when things return to normal, remember its just hair and will grow back. The most important thing is we all stay healthy and sane in the meantime =) Please note: I am no longer the President of the ALAA and not meant as an easy to do groom. It is instructional in how this grooming look is achieved. There are many different variations of this groom that others have applied. There is no wrong Doodle Do 😉 Use this as a guide and feel free to make whatever modifications you want to, to suit your fancy. The most important thing is a healthy non-matted coat. I hope this grooming information is helpful. I am here if you need me and remember #weareallinthistogether